Each editorial product is independently selected, although we may receive compensation or receive an affiliate commission if you purchase something through our links. Ratings and prices are correct and items are in stock at the time of publication.
RD.com, Getty Images (2)
Fryerhas revolutionized the way we cook at home. These ingenious gadgets can do so much more than fry frozen fried foods—you can use yoursFryer to prepare your favorite appetizers,baking cookies, reheating leftovers and even, as this home cook proved during the processUse your fryer daily for two weeks, boiled eggs! Air fryers are essentially miniature convection ovens, so you might be wondering: is it just as good to put aluminum foil in a fryer as in a regular oven?
It's a good question. Finally,Aluminium foilIt's extremely useful when cooking in the oven, as it can do everything from blocking steam and juices to simply cleaning. But on the other hand you have toNever put aluminum foil in the microwave. Then,how an airfryer works, Exactly? WhatMistakeshould you avoid? We got to the bottom of this kitchen secret so you can use yoursFavorite deep fryers 2022to its maximum potential.
Can you put aluminum foil in the Airfryer?
The short answer is yes, you can put aluminum foil in a deep fryer. However, as with any device, it's good to check the manufacturer's recommendations first. Air fryers use high-speed fans to circulate hot air around your food, and unless it's heavy, loose aluminum foil can blow off and damage the unit. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with using aluminum foil in your deep fryer, it can void the manufacturer's warranty due to liability issues if used correctly.
Should you use aluminum foil in a deep fryer?
That is of course a completely different question. Although it is not necessary to placeAluminium foilin your air fryer, there are some good reasons to consider this. In fact, you may have seen both professional and amateur chefs demonstrate some of these benefits on TikTok.
increase the taste
The first reason why you should try this air fryer hack has to do with the taste. Pack food looselyAluminium foil, or aluminum foil formed into a small tray to support the base, prevents food juices from dripping through the holes in the cooking basket. This is a clever thing to try when using your air fryerRoast meat, fish or vegetables, as it helps keep these foods moist and tasty. One important note: if you want your food to be crispy, do not cover or wrap your food completely in aluminum foil. This will block the steam and prevent browning.
Prevents delicate foods from falling apart
Aluminum foil can also help you get delicate foods in and out of the fryer. "For foods that tend to fall apart while cooking, like salmon, you can make a slingshot out of aluminum foil to get them in the basket," says chef Rebecca Eisenberg, who writes the popular food blogThe practical kitchen. Your pro tip? "Tear off a little more foil than you think you need. This additional edge supports you when you lift delicate food out of the basket in one go.
Although air fryers are known for thateasy to cleanPlacing a sheet of aluminum foil under the food during cooking will catch any drips or flying crumbs. This allows you to skip the occasional cleaning of the full basket.
Tips for using aluminum foil in a deep fryer
As long as you follow a few simple rules, you can safely put aluminum foil in the fryer. If you do not? Well, you could end up with subpar food - or a much worse problem.
- Use as little aluminum foil as possible.You don't want to block many of the holes in your air fryer basket. Air fryers work by rapidly circulating hot air around items, and if there aren't spaces for air to flow, the food will be cooked improperly. Maximize airflow by using just enough aluminum foil to fit under the food.
- Never place aluminum foil on the bottom of the fry drawer.Aluminum foil should only be placed in the basket itself, not underneath. If the film is placed at the bottom of the drawer, it may come into contact with the heating element or the high-speed fan. This could damage your fryer or worse, overheat it and start a fire.
- Make sure the food is heavy enough to weigh the foil.If it is too light, the leaf (along with the food) can be removed by the high-speed fan, blowing it away and potentially becoming a fire hazard. Speaking of which: You shouldn't preheat a fryer with aluminum foil in the basket either. Wait for the fryer to reach the correct temperature, then add the foil at the same time you add the food.
Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro
Pergamentpapier von Reynolds Kitchens
What foods you shouldn't cook with foil in a deep fryer
Aluminum foil is a reactive metal and can be used in conjunction with acidic ingredientssmall aluminum particleto end up in your food. "Always be careful with highly acidic foods — like tomatoes, vinegar, and lemon juice — and aluminum foil," Eisenberg says, and be safeAvoid cooking these things in your air fryercomplete. "But if you can safely cook food with foil outside of a fryer, it should also cook well in foil in the fryer."
A 2019 study conducted by the National Institute for Biotechnology Information showed trace amounts of aluminum in foods baked in aluminum foil, but not enough to be alarming. The researchers found that it would be extremely difficult for the average person to consume enough trace amounts of aluminum to pose a serious hazard. However, the study warned that aluminum could pose a high potential risk for people with certain diseases, particularly those with chronic kidney failure and young children.
If you're at high risk for Alzheimer's, you should also avoid using aluminum foil in high-temperature environments like deep fryers. A 2020 study published inJAlzheimer's disease magazineSupported previous research linking human aluminum exposure to disease, with scientists finding high levels of aluminum in the brain tissue of Alzheimer's patients. While there's been a lot of back-and-forth about the connection between aluminum and Alzheimer's, it may still be something to keep in mind.
What can you use instead of aluminum foil in a deep fryer?
If you don't want to use aluminum foil or don't have any in your kitchen, try usingparchment paper in your fryerinstead of. Parchment has a non-stick surface, is made from non-reactive materials, and can do the same things aluminum foil does in the air fryer. In fact, it's especially useful when you're preparing baked goods like cookies and crackers in your air fryer. However, don't use itWachspapier. It may resemble parchment paper, but wax paper has a coating that will melt in a fryer, ruining your food and fryer, and possibly even causing a fire.
- Rebecca Eisenberg, chef and bloggerTThe practical kitchen
- Food Science and Nutrition: "Contamination of food by aluminum during culinary preparation: a case study with aluminum foil and consumer preferences"
- National Library of Medicine: "Comparison of the regional distribution of transferrin and aluminum receptors in the forebrain of patients on chronic kidney dialysis"
- science directly: "Exposure to aluminium: a study of the effect on cell growth rate"
- Journal of Alzheimer's Disease: "Aluminum and β-amyloid in familial Alzheimer's disease"